UI/UX Design Intern
July 16, 2023
Canada (Toronto while working full-time), Remote (EST time zone). We have a brand new office in downtown Toronto and the expectation is that you will spend at least a couple of days of the week working out of the office with your team when full-time.
0-2 professional experience
July 2023 - August 2024 (Part-time for the summer. Flexible to continue part-time or work full-time during any of the subsequent semesters. Also, an opportunity to transition to full-time in the summer)
We are an innovation consultancy that helps large corporations innovate at the speed of startups. We focus on three areas of expertise: (1) Building a sustainable pipeline of employee-generated product ideas, (2) Reducing the process and time from product concept to market, and (3) Scaling a strong culture of innovation and hands-on technical learning across thousands of employees.
We accomplish this by executing custom high-impact Innovation Sprints to drive tangible products for clients. We ensure the right challenges are defined and matched with the appropriate sponsors. We provide the necessary facilitation, tools, and environment that is conducive to building creative and innovative solutions. As part of our process in education and product innovation, we provide our clients and their employees with the latest design thinking, design sprint, and lean startup processes and methodologies.
- Ideate, plan, and create visual elements for all the assets of our startup
- Organize brainstorming sessions with the founders to create branding initiatives and adjust brand assets for social media campaigns
- Use storyboards, process flows, and sitemaps to illustrate design concepts.
- Designing UI elements such as input controls, navigational components and informational components
- Support any client-related work with design assets and provide design expertise to existing design assets
- Identifying and troubleshooting UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Extremely proficient with HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, and any design creation software
- Can create original vector designs, illustrations, and flat icons
- Can use storyboards, process flows, and sitemaps to illustrate design concepts.
- Knowledgeable about the latest design best practices and emerging trends (has a strong eye for design)
- Extremely receptive to feedback and has strong communication skills
- Effective time management skills and highly organized
- Can successfully manage multiple design projects and meet tight deadlines
- Highly able to operate independently - is able to fully own and lead projects
- Highly detail-oriented and has high standards for one's own work quality
- Effectively adapts to external design expectations
- Excited to take initiative and learn new design technical skills and software
- Adaptive to take on tasks beyond graphic design to support the team
Have a strong growth mindset and be very receptive to feedback: We have a high-pain, high-gain ****mentality. Feedback from your peers, manager and co-founders will come often and fast, and this offers you a chance to grow extremely rapidly. This may come in the form of 1:1 chats with your manager, and direct feedback on live demos/presentations. You will need to be emotionally resilient and have a strong growth mindset to thrive in our culture.
Have the "startup hustle": Our working hours are not a standard 9-5. The team may often work late nights and on weekends to meet deadlines and respond to client needs. We try to balance this during our downtime with slower days/hours when we’re less busy.
Thrive in an ambiguous environment and take ownership: As much as half of your workload will be self-driven, meaning you are actively looking for problems to solve around the company, coming up with solutions, and implementing them. You must be very comfortable working independently and thrive in ambiguous environments where there isn’t necessarily someone telling you what to do.
Are emotionally intelligent and self-aware: We expect that you are aware of your own emotions and can effectively process and communicate them with your peers. We encourage our team to be vulnerable and open. It allows us to develop deeper connections and work far more effectively as a team when we have empathy for one another.
Are highly detail-oriented and organized: We have a very strong written culture at Onova. As a largely remote team, we need to ensure work and processes are documented, and effectively communicate across the organization. You will need to be highly detailed in the work you do, and ensure proper organization so that someone with no context can come in and pick up where you left off if needed.
Have strong communication skills: Whether communicating your emotions, presenting in front of an audience, writing documentation, or simply writing an e-mail, you must be a strong communicator. The ability to succinctly and effectively convey your thoughts in any medium is highly valued at Onova.
Are team-oriented and collaborative: Naturally, this is critical for a startup like ours. It's important that everyone feels supported and encouraged to do their best work, but they also are able to support one another proactively.
Enjoy being creative and think outside the box: We are a team of creative thinkers that enjoy challenging the status quo and being different. You'll be a great fit if you enjoy learning and growing in diverse subject areas and thinking about the future.
- Must be registered as a full-time post-secondary student from an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or refugee with protected status as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Note that you will need to submit a 1-minute video as part of your application.