Innovation Consulting Internship
Application Deadline: Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 11:59PM ET
About Our Ecosystem of Businesses
We are creating an ecosystem with one common goal: building or empowering the next generation of high-impact businesses. We are entrepreneurs at heart who love to experiment, build, and create. Our employees may work across the different streams of our businesses with their main focus on Onova.
Onova is a boutique innovation consultancy that helps large corporations innovate at the speed of startups
Inoki Bathhouse is an innovative e-commerce company reimagining and reshaping the bath industry
winning together fund
The WTF is a micro fund investing in early-stage startups (e.g., Stilt, Almanac, Cococart)
Earth is an enterprise software designed to run hybrid innovation sprints and hackathons for large corporations
Onova is a remote-first innovation consultancy focused on three areas of expertise:
(1) Building a sustainable pipeline of employee-generated product ideas
(2) Reducing the process and time from product concept to market
(3) Scaling a strong culture of innovation and hands-on technical learning across thousands of employees
We accomplish this by executing custom high-impact Innovation Sprints to drive tangible products for clients. We ensure the right challenges are defined and matched with the appropriate sponsors. We provide the necessary facilitation, tools, and environment that is conducive to building creative and innovative solutions. As part of our process in education and product innovation, we provide our clients and their employees with the latest design thinking, design sprint, and lean startup processes and methodologies.
High-Level Role and Responsibilities
Location: Canada (Toronto while working full-time), Remote (EST time zone). We have a brand new office in downtown Toronto and the expectation is that you will spend at least a couple of days of the week working out of the office with your team when full-time.
Job Function: Consulting, Project Management, Research
Timeline: January 2024 - December 2024 (Flexible on part-time vs. full-time, however Summer 2024 must be full-time).
We hold ourselves to the highest standards of being "project-obsessed" to ensure our client engagements not only run smoothly but extremely successfully. Our client projects are some of the most visible in the company across the world and our business sponsors are typically C-Suite level global leaders. Our sole mission is to help them innovate internally and drive rapid cultural change in embracing intrapreneurship and bottom-up innovation.
Client Project Responsibilities
• Project management and support on large-scale, global innovation efforts for Fortune 500 clients
• Capturing client notes and documenting project deliverables
• Conducting research relevant for client projects
• Support and oversee teams of 10-50 people per project to ensure tasks are completed and deadlines are met across a wide array of work streams, including marketing, design, logistics, partnerships, operations, finance
• Build presentation decks and facilitate client meetings/workshops
• Manage technology partner relationships on client projects with companies such as Google, AWS, and Microsoft
• Identify and research key startups to introduce to our clients
• Support our sister companies (Inoki Bathhouse and Winning Together Fund)
• Lead internal projects (research papers, newsletter, etc.)
• Work directly with the co-founders to implement and test new strategies to grow other business functions (client services, marketing, business development, partnerships, etc.)
Have a strong growth mindset and be very receptive to feedback: We have a high-pain, high-gain mentality. Feedback from your peers, manager and co-founders will come often and fast, and this offers you a chance to grow extremely rapidly. This may come in the form of 1:1 chats with your manager, and direct feedback on live demos/presentations. You will need to be emotionally resilient and have a strong growth mindset to thrive in our culture.
Have the "startup hustle": Our working hours are not a standard 9-5. The team may often work late nights and on weekends to meet deadlines and respond to client needs. We try to balance this during our downtime with slower days/hours when we’re less busy.
Thrive in an ambiguous environment and take ownership: As much as half of your workload will be self-driven, meaning you are actively looking for problems to solve around the company, coming up with solutions, and implementing them. You must be very comfortable working independently and thrive in ambiguous environments where there isn’t necessarily someone telling you what to do.
Are emotionally intelligent and self-aware: We expect that you are aware of your own emotions and can effectively process and communicate them with your peers. We encourage our team to be vulnerable and open. It allows us to develop deeper connections and work far more effectively as a team when we have empathy for one another.
Are highly detail-oriented and organized: We have a very strong written culture at Onova. As a largely remote team, we need to ensure work and processes are documented, and effectively communicate across the organization. You will need to be highly detailed in the work you do, and ensure proper organization so that someone with no context can come in and pick up where you left off if needed.
Have strong communication skills: Whether communicating your emotions, presenting in front of an audience, writing documentation, or simply writing an e-mail, you must be a strong communicator. The ability to succinctly and effectively convey your thoughts in any medium is highly valued at Onova.
Are team-oriented and collaborative: Naturally, this is critical for a startup like ours. It's important that everyone feels supported and encouraged to do their best work, but they also are able to support one another proactively.
Enjoy being creative and think outside the box: We are a team of creative thinkers that enjoy challenging the status quo and being different. If you enjoy learning and growing in diverse subject areas and thinking about the future, you'll be a great fit.
1. Must be registered as a full-time post-secondary student from an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution.
2. Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or refugee with protected status as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Join our hiring info session on Sept 21, 2023 at 5 PM ET to learn more about us and hear from our team. Sign up here
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Note that you will need to submit a 1-minute video as part of your application.
How might we identify and disrupt the bias in our organization’s systems?
Bias in our systems impact productivity, creativity and innovation. Systemic bias benefits some individuals while leaving others disadvantaged. Reducing systemic bias will lead to increased retention, engagement, morale, trust and inclusion across an organization.
- Expect resistance from various levels of management and leadership
- Must create psychological safety where people are comfortable to speak up and share
- Consider anonymous embedded feedback mechanisms
- Must be outcome-based and measurable to report back on results